International New Student Arrival Day for Fall Semester is Monday, August 19, 2013.
While that date may seem a long way off, it will arrive before you know it. The checklist below will help you begin preparations for living and studying at Hiram College. Each of the steps is important, so complete them as quickly and as completely as possible. Students sponsored by government/private organizations should work closely with these agencies to insure that all deadlines are met.
Please keep us informed of your progress in completing the steps and contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to assisting you!
1. ENROLLMENT DEPOSIT:
To accept the offer of admission, submit the non-refundable USD$200 Enrollment Deposit and other forms as identified in your letter of admission. Instructions for paying the deposit are attached to the acceptance email. Options include:
2. APPLY FOR THE F-1 STUDENT VISA (non-immigrant students only.)
Review instructions for acquiring a Certificate of Eligibility: Form I-20. Submit the following:
- Clear copy of the passport biographical page(s)
- Completed International Student Profile
- Completed Verification of Immigration Status – required only for students currently in the U.S. with an F-1 or J-1 visa.
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship
- Supporting financial documentation from each funding source.
Receive a Form I-20 from Hiram College and,
- Review the instructions on applying for the F-1 Student Visa.
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.
- Pay the visa application fee specified by the U.S. Consulate/Embassy that will process your visa.
- Schedule a visa interview appointment with the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
3. ENROLLMENT TASKS
See informational Letter from the Health Center and instructions for Completing Health Forms and Immunizations. Health forms are required and must be received prior to moving into the residence halls and class attendance.
- Health Record, Consent and Release (2 pages)
- Health Physical Exam (2 pages)
- Meningococcal/Hepatitis B Form (3 pages)
After receiving an email from Hiram's TSS Helpdesk, use the information sent to you to activate your Hiram email account.
- Review the Advising Workbook and Graduation Requirements.
- Complete Online Placement Tests.
- Complete Course Registration by emailing your choice of classes in response to an email you will receive from Associate Academic Dean, Ellen Walker.
- Review the book requirements for your scheduled classes and arrange purchase. In addition to textbooks, new students will read the Common Reading. A personal copy is given to you once you are at Hiram, but you may wish to obtain a copy to read prior to arrival.
Carrying Health Insurance is mandatory. A student health insurance fee is automatically included on the student bill. If you have your own health insurance plan for study in the U.S. and wish to waive enrollment in the Hiram College insurance plan:
- Review Health Center Resources
- Review International Student Health Insurance Information
- Complete and submit the Student Insurance Information/Waiver no later than July 31.
If electing to waive the Hiram College Health Insurance, you are required to fax a copy of a comparable, alternative Health Insurance plan translated into English to (cc: 1) 330-569-5183.
Send your final transcript/certificates and meet any additional requirements noted in the letter of admission.
Friendly Family Program:
Complete the Friendly Family Application (optional).
4. PREPARING FOR DEPARTURE TO THE U.S.
Review pre-departure instructions regarding the following:
- Transferring Funds to the U.S.
- Paying your Bill
- Travel Arrangements
- Air Travel
- Carry-on Luggage
- Port of Entry
- Transport from the Airport to Campus
- Notebook Computer
- What to Bring
- Your Room and Packing List
- Bed Linens
- Clothing Styles at U.S. Universities
- Traditional Dress from Home
- Shipping Things to Hiram
- Via Courier
- Via International Post
- Buying Textbooks
- Changing Cultures
Director, International Student Services
Office for International Student Services
11715 Garfield Rd./P.O. Box 67
Hiram, OH 44234 U.S.A.
Phone: (U.S. CC: 1) 330.569.5388
Fax: (U.S. CC: 1) 330.569.5183
(Mrs.) Susan K. McGill