Hiram College students experience extraordinary hands-on research and internship opportunities at the undergraduate level. Nearly 50 students will showcase their internship work and independent research (mostly conducted during summer 2015) at the annual Celebration of Experiential Learning, Sept. 22, 2015, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Kennedy Center Main Lounge.
Students will present their work through poster presentations. They will discuss the topic/focus of their internship or research study, detail the findings and ponder how the work they did fits into their studies and future career or graduate school plans. Many students use this opportunity to prepare for senior capstones or regional and national conference presentations throughout the year. The Celebration of Research is an excellent opportunity for freshmen to see the many research and hands-on opportunities available to them as Hiram students.
The showcase of student work will span a range of disciplines, including neuroscience, environmental studies, biomedical humanities, biology, sociology, business, psychology, biochemistry, chemistry, education, physics and entrepreneurship, from research sites and internship locations including:
- Hiram College academic departments: biology, chemistry, biochemistry, psychology, business, sociology, physics, biomedical humanities, environmental studies
- Neurological Surgery Department, Case Western Reserve Medical School
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego
- James H. Barrow Field Station, Hiram College
- Integrated Medical Sciences Department, Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Biomedical Humanities Department, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- City of Elkhart Department of Public Works and Utilities, Elkhart, Ind.
- Local farmers markets
- Department of Cellular Molecular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner Institute
- Stow Kent Animal Hospital, Stow, Ohio
- Department of Ophthalmic Research, Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Institute
- Medina Raptor Center