Because the National Weather Service has forecasted an 80 percent chance of thunderstorms for Saturday, May 16, 2015, Commencement will be held indoors at Martin Field House in the Les and Kathy Coleman Sports, Recreation and Fitness Center.
Please see the following note to campus for a full explanation and details about the location change:
Commencement is a very important event; one graduating students and their families look forward to for many years. Hiram College strives to do all it can to make it an extremely well-run event that our families will remember fondly for years to come.
Each year Commencement is traditionally held outside on Paul Henry Field and the weather is typically very accommodating. Unfortunately, the forecast for this year’s event is less than appealing with the National Weather Service calling for an up to 80 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms. While we can all tolerate a few sprinkles, thunderstorms often include lightening, which can threaten the safety and welfare of our graduates, employees and guests — therefore the College has made the decision to move this year’s Commencement ceremony INSIDE to the Paul Martin Fieldhouse. The decision was made as of 10 a.m. this morning to allow adequate time for the numerous changes that must take place with our many vendors who assist with the set-up of the event (floor covering, staging, audio/visual, etc.).
Items to be aware of:
1. All guests will need an indoor contingency ticket for Martin Field House due to fire code.
- Registration for tickets ended on May 1, 2015 so tickets have already been allocated. The ticket packets are available for students and faculty/staff to pick up at the Kennedy Center Welcome Desk which is open today 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Friday 10 a.m. to noon.
- Graduating students who are in the processional DO NOT need indoor seating tickets for themselves.
- Faculty and other distinguished campus and community members who are in the processional do NOT need indoor seating tickets for themselves.
- All other guests WILL need an indoor contingency ticket as show here:
2. If you requested a Reserved Seating ticket for outside use, this ticket will not be valid – this was for use at Henry Field only. Guests with the Reserved Seating tickets will STILL need indoor contingency tickets to get into Martin Field House.
3. Line up begins at 1:15 p.m. on Saturday:
- GRADUATING STUDENTS will line-up in FLEMING FIELD HOUSE AT 1:15 p.m. on Saturday. If there is a break in the weather and it is not storming or raining at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, the class picture will still be on the steps outside of Bates Hall. If it is storming at 12:30 p.m., the class picture will be in Price Gym at the Coleman Sports Center.
- FACULTY, BOARD OF TRUSTEES AND PLATFORM PARTY will line up on the second floor of the Coleman Center, as previously instructed.
Complete information on the contingency plan can be found at http://www.hiram.edu/commencement/contingency.
[btn link=”http://www.hiram.edu/commencement” color=”grey” size=”size-m”]Learn more about Commencement. [/btn]