Dear faculty, staff, and students,
As you know, I usually send these updates out on Thursday, but there is a special reason for me to reach out to you now, hopefully as you have a few moments after exams to take a deep breath.
My last message focused on gearing up for all of the myriad end-of-the-year events. Today, I want to personally invite you to another campus-wide event central to our mission – Hiram HealthFest—on Wednesday, April 19. The day has been intentionally designed to help you not just survive the end of the year, but thrive for the long haul! If that wasn’t enough, it will also do double duty, serving as our early launch of the TREK part of our new Tech and Trek initiative. You will not want to miss out!
Join in for this truly extraordinary day of activities and shared community. In addition to the repeat performance of surgical demonstrations (provided for a second year in a row by Hiram alumnus Dr. Richard Anthony, President of the Surgical Training Institute), this year’s event will focus on Mental Health and Wellness. It will include:
- 11 full immersion teach-in sessions – come explore topics ranging from sleep to exercise, meditation to stress, depression to arts and the mind (see the attachment for details)
- 4th-year medical students armed with human anatomical specimens answering your questions about neurological and mental disorders
- Campus walkabouts on trails that you may not even know exist – come grab a new trail map!
- Visits to our new relaxation/UV room in the Library and the new hydration stations (armed with your new water bottle)
- An all-campus lunch, free to all students, staff, and faculty
- Games, free chair massages, yoga, exercise tips, and a meditation drum circle
- Wellness-themed prizes and giveaways
….and Introducing Trek
Early Adopters of our iPad initiative last week had the opportunity to be a part of the excitement that the Tech and Trek launch ushered in. Our Transformers team put 150 faculty, staff, and students through “spring training,” so that they can use the next four months preparing to get the rest of us whipped into shape quickly. Meanwhile, Tech and Trek continues to garner national attention. Just last week, the America Council on Education, known as ACE, featured the initiative prominently on its website.
The buzz will grow even louder during HealthFest, where we plan to launch the Trek side of the equation. This day will be like few others: provocative programs, fun activities, all while hosting 250 high school students to show them how Hiram does Health. But really the big WOW of the day may be in the form of a surprise for some – showing exactly what we mean by TREK. So, for all students reading this note, I urge you to MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO RETURN TO CAMPUS ON WEDNESDAY between 10 am and 2 pm. Drop off your belongings, and make your way to the HealthFest so you can be equipped to begin your trek when you return to Hiram in the fall.
See you soon.