Hui-Chu Ying: Prayers
January 22-February 29, 2008
Hui-Chu Ying uses her artistic interests to address the challenges of war, disasters, illness, intolerance, and loss. Marshalling a variety of media such as painting, drawing, etching, screen-printing and collage, she creates large-scale installations that offer a space for meditation and communication.
Hui-Chu is an Associate Professor of Art at the University of Akron's Myers School of Art.
" We learn to nurture and embrace one another, to cope with the loss of loved ones, and to endure obstacles. The best medicine for healing the wounds that life throws at us is the offer of hope and courage. Helping one another to develop empathy, tolerance, patience and humility is one of life's greatest gifts."
- Hui-Chu Ying
In conjunction with the exhibition, Hiram College presents the symposium, Creative Coping: Art as Sustenance
Wednesday, February 6, 2008, 6-8 p.m.
Becky Wellman '93, PhD, MT-BC/DT
Board Certified Music Therapist
Educational Psychologist, Developmental Specialist
"One Moment in Time: Harnessing the Power of Music"
Paul Nietupski, Ph.D.
Dept of Religious Studies, John Carroll University
Scholar of Asian Religions and Cultures
"Buddhism, Therapy, and Art"
Lynn Underwood, Ph.D.
Professor of Biomedical Humanities, Hiram College
Specialist in Spirituality, Disability, and End-of-Life Issues
"Visual Art and the Human Person in Dire Circumstances"
Related events on the Hiram College campus:
- Student directed production of Laramie Project by Moises Kaufman.
- Lectures in Religion Series, featuring Philip Clayton, Ingraham Chair, Claremont School of Theology and Professor of Philosophy and Religion at the Claremont Graduate University. Topic: "Why the 'New Atheism' Isn't New: The Path from Scientific Reductionism to Reenchantment"
- Shiva Sastry, playing the Veena, traditional South Indian music
- Ethics Symposium: Talk by Barry Lopez, author of About this Life, on "The Storyteller's Obligation"
- Professors Kim King and Betsy Bauman on the stories behind quilts.
Explore Past Exhibits
- Stephen Litchfield Exhibit
- Perspectives on Pilgrimage
- Senior Art Exhibition (2013)
- Annual Juried Art Show (2013)
- Monumental Ideas in Miniature Books II
- Before Digital: The Era of Silver Photography
- Artist-in-Residence: Leighton Pierce
- Robert Buganski: Composing in Space
- Linda Bourassa: Wandering
- Jack Carlton: Youngstown Murals Project
- Dave Thomas: Then And Now
- Clayton Pond 50 Years Later: A Retrospective of Paintings & Print
- New Views in Fiber: 8 Voices
- Point of Departure: Five Contemporary Realists
- Senior Art Show
- Annual Juried Student Art Show
- Artist in Residence - Cynthia Penter
- Studio Art Faculty Show
- Sarah Schuster & Nanette Yannuzzi-Macias: Arousing the Ordinary
- George Schroeder: Paintings & Collages
- Artist in Residence: Lorenzo Pezzatini
- Hiram College Field Studies Program Presents: The Shore
- Charles Kanwischer & Elaine S. Wilson Unfolding Landscape: The Pastoral Reformed Exhibition Reception
- Margaret Neill Stream Exhibition Reception
- 2008 Senior Art Exhibition
- Hui-Chu Ying: Prayers
- Lynn Saville: Night/Shift
- Fall '07 Creative Space Exhibition: Works from Italy