Composing in Space: Sculpture and Assemblage by Robert Buganski
Composition #12 Wood, Card and Color Marker 24" h by 18" w
September 4 - October 12, 2012
Opening Reception: Friday September 7, 2012
5:30 - 7:30 PM
Gallery Talk: 6:00 PM
Robert Buganski is currently Art Department Chair and an Associate Professor of Sculpture at Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio. He has also taught at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Rhode Island School of Design. His record includes numerous show over ten states that include solo, group, and travelling exhibitions. He received his BA from Stockton State College in New Jersey, and his MFA from the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence RI.
He began his career learning to make fine furniture. This led to a technical assistant position at Stockton College's woodshop in the sculpture department where faculty encouraged him to take classes and get his degree. His love of woodworking was further inspired by American and Japanese master furniture makers that instilled the love of craft and design as well as attention to the way 3-D objects are perceived in space.
This exhibition, Composing in Space, includes sculptures, assemblage, and sketches that demonstrate the concept of the way an artist works with the profile of an object as it is translated and perceived kinetically. His work seeks to challenge viewers to be more aware of these shapes and profiles as one moves around the pieces. The wall pieces and sketches are inspired by modeling animation programs that suggest to him "slices" you might generate by taking a CAT scan of a 3-D object. His continued love of furniture making is evidenced in the incorporation of the pedestal as a part of his sculpture. The wheel barrow handles, crochet balls, and architectural columns are ready-mades that lend humor and functionality at the same time.
During exhibitions, the gallery is open Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please call to confirm as gallery hours are occasionally subject to change.
Explore Past Exhibits
- Stephen Litchfield Exhibit
- Perspectives on Pilgrimage
- Senior Art Exhibition (2013)
- Annual Juried Art Show (2013)
- Monumental Ideas in Miniature Books II
- Before Digital: The Era of Silver Photography
- Artist-in-Residence: Leighton Pierce
- Robert Buganski: Composing in Space
- Linda Bourassa: Wandering
- Jack Carlton: Youngstown Murals Project
- Dave Thomas: Then And Now
- Clayton Pond 50 Years Later: A Retrospective of Paintings & Print
- New Views in Fiber: 8 Voices
- Point of Departure: Five Contemporary Realists
- Senior Art Show
- Annual Juried Student Art Show
- Artist in Residence - Cynthia Penter
- Studio Art Faculty Show
- Sarah Schuster & Nanette Yannuzzi-Macias: Arousing the Ordinary
- George Schroeder: Paintings & Collages
- Artist in Residence: Lorenzo Pezzatini
- Hiram College Field Studies Program Presents: The Shore
- Charles Kanwischer & Elaine S. Wilson Unfolding Landscape: The Pastoral Reformed Exhibition Reception
- Margaret Neill Stream Exhibition Reception
- 2008 Senior Art Exhibition
- Hui-Chu Ying: Prayers
- Lynn Saville: Night/Shift
- Fall '07 Creative Space Exhibition: Works from Italy