I teach because I love the material I teach. All of my classes are guided by the belief that knowledge dispels stereotypes, prejudices, and injustice. There are “facts” and these must always be considered before decisions and recommendations are made or supported.
- Introduction to Sociology
- Ethnicity in America
- Population Patterns
- Research Methods
- Ph.D., University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, January, 1971
- M.A., University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, June 1969
- B.A., Illinois Benedictine College, Lisle, Illinois, June, 1966
- “Negroes and Voluntary Associations: An Open Question,” Research Reports in the Social Sciences, 1968, 2 (Spring).
- “Voluntary Association and Anomie: A Test of the Meditation Hypothesis,” paper which received Honorable Mention (2nd place) in the 1969 Graduate Student Paper Competition of the Ohio Valley Sociological Society.
- “Voluntary Associations and Anomie in a Negro Community,” Master’s Thesis, 1969, University of Notre Dame.
- “Social Goals and Public Housing,” Paper presented at the Housing and Redevelopment Officials Convention, 1969, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- With J. Coakley, R. Antonio, R. Fieno, “Graduate Education: A Rationale for Change,” paper presented at the 2nd Annual Indiana Sociological Meetings, 1969, Purdue University. Later published in The Research Reports in the Social Sciences, 1970, Special Issue.
- “Correlates of Instrumental and Expressive Voluntary Association Membership in a Black Community,” Dissertation, 1971, University of Notre Dame.
- “Religion, Ideal Family Size, and Attitudes Towards Abortion,” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, March, 1975.
- “Rural Poverty,” book review for Contemporary Sociology, September 1975, Vol. 4 & 5.
- “Husband’s and Wife’s Socio-Economic Status and Sex-role Attitudes,” paper presented at North Central Sociological Association, 1981, Cleveland, Ohio.
- “Review of Ethnic Groups in American Life Series, “Mid-American Review of Sociology, Spring 1982, Vol. VII, #1.
- “The State of Sociology,” book review Contemporary Sociology, January 1983, Vol. 12, #1.
- “A Student Exercise on Physical and Social Distance,” paper presented at North Central Sociological Association, 1986 Toledo, Ohio.