Liz Piatt, Ph.D. is currently Associate Professor of Sociology. She also holds a faculty appointment in Family and Community Medicine at the Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED).
Dr. Piatt’s research interests are primarily in the area of race disparities in physical and mental health and is also an evaluator for the State of Ohio Commission on Minority Health. Dr. Piatt’s work has been recognized by the Ohio Department of Mental Health and the Ohio Public Health Association.
Dr. Piatt is the faculty liaison for the 3+2 program in Social Work and also serves as the campus advisor for the Hiram College Equestrian Team. You can often find her running, walking or hiking in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- PhD, Medical Sociology, Kent State University
- MA, Educational Administration, University of Akron
- BA, Pan-African Studies, Kent State University
Dr. Piatt’s research interests are primarily in the area of race disparities in physical and mental health. As an example, she has done work on the impact of social roles on mental health and the use of narrative medicine as a strategy for addressing race disparities in health.
Dr. Piatt often works with community groups to evaluate their health programs. Much of this work is incorperated into her classes so that students get real world experience in program evaluation.
- “Disease Burden among Individuals with Severe Mental Illness in a Community Setting.” 2016. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26611625
- “Navigating Veronika: How Access, Knowledge and Attitudes Shaped My Sister’s Care.” 2015. http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/34/2/350.abstract
- “Clinical Outcomes in a Primary Care Practice Within a Center for Health Equity.” 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911455
- “Race, Mental Illness and Premature Mortality: Double Jeopardy?” 2011. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21285107
- “An Examination of Premature Mortality Among Decedents With Serious Mental Illness and Those in the General Population.” 2010. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592000
- Dr. Piatt has run three half-marathons; sings in the praise band at her church; and teaches an interdisciplinary course, “Stuff White People Do” that is taught in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.