For Traditional Graduates
It is the responsibility of all graduating students to complete certain tasks in preparation for graduation. Completion of tasks will assure the student is able to participate in celebratory events and the commencement ceremony as planned.
THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY:
Hiram College's commencement ceremony includes the Dean of the College reading each graduate's name as they process to the front. They will be given a diploma folder, congratulated by the College President and the Chair of the Board of Trustees.
All students with a G.P.A. of 3.5 or above after Fall Semester will be listed with Latin honors in the commencement program and the honor will be announced with their name during Commencement. Final Latin honors (Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Cum Laude) will be awarded officially after final grades are recorded. If your final cumulative G.P.A. is 3.5 or above, the associated Latin honor will appear on your diploma which will be mailed to you four to six weeks after Commencement. All final Latin honors and departmental honors will be noted on your final transcript.
GRADUATE'S TO DO LIST:
The following 'to do list' is a tool to assist each student. It is intended to assure there is a clear understanding of what needs to happen as graduation approaches. Please review this information carefully and contact the appropriate office with any questions.
- ON JANUARY 24 or 25, 2014 GET YOUR SENIOR PHOTO TAKEN if you missed the session in the fall. Photographer will be set up in the Brown Fall room located inside the Kennedy Center.
- Check with Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and the Registrar to be sure you are completing all requirements necessary to graduate.
- Find out about commencement day along with the celebrations planned during the days leading up to commencement. And, get all your questions about commencement answered in one place.
- Place orders for your cap & gown, class ring and diploma frame.
- Talk to the Career Center to learn the three key steps to get your career plans moving forward.
- Check in with the Office of Alumni Relations and learn about the Senior Class Gift.
- ORDER CAPS AND GOWNS. Be sure to order your cap and gown through www.herffjones.com/college/graduation OR by placing your order in the book store. DEADLINE IS March 18, 2014.
- ORDER GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS (Optional). Personalized graduation announcements are available to order through the book store. Check with the bookstore on cost and delivery when ordering.
- STAFFORD LOAN AND PERKINS LOAN BORROWERS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE EXIT INTERVIEWS BEFORE GRADUATION. To complete the Stafford Loan Exit Interview log on to www.studentloans.gov. To complete the Perkins Loan Exit Interview log on to www.usaexit.com. Questions regarding the Stafford Loan Exit Interview can be answered by calling the financial aid office at (330) 569-5107. Questions about the Perkins Loan Exit Interview can be directed to Sue Boyle at (330) 569-5119.
MARCH & APRIL (note May 2 deadline for brunch)
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS. Be sure to schedule a meeting with the Director of International Student Services to discuss post-graduate planning.
APRIL THROUGH BEGINNING OF MAY
- JOIN THE ONLINE ALUMNI COMMUNITY. As a Hiram College alumni, you automatically join a career network of more than 15,000 alumni.
- The easiest way to take advantage of this is through the online alumni community. Register at alumni.hiram.edu to connect with others in your career field and geographic area.
- In addition, stay in touch with classmates through your class page and blog, post an online class note, and let others know what you are up to. This is also a great way to keep Hiram updated with your contact information to ensure you receive all of our communications about opportunities for alumni.
- Join the Hiram College Alumni Facebook and Linked In groups. Just search "Hiram College Alumni" on both sites to find those groups.
- RETURN YOUR LIBRARY MATERIALS AND PAY ANY LIBRARY FINES.
- CHECK YOUR eBILLS WEEKLY BEGINNING IN APRIL. Beginning in April, check your eBills regularly for any outstanding balance that must be paid. Any final charges such as library fines, parking fines, health center charges, etc. are continually added to your bill as quickly as possible so please check WEEKLY and watch for emails from Student Accounts and bills in the mail. You can access your bill on-line though eBill safely and securely 24/7 by logging into student portal & clicking on eBill link. Payments can be made through the link on eBill, at www.hiram.edu/paymybill, at the Student Accounts Counter, or by mail. Hiram College reserves the right to withhold a student's grades, transcript, and diploma if there is an unpaid balance.
- PICK UP YOUR CAP, TASSEL, AND GOWN STARTING ON MAY 3, 2014 in the Bookstore. Cost for the undergraduate cap, gown, and tassel is $44.99 + tax. Payment is due at time of pick up.
- ATTEND REHEARSAL. Attendance at Commencement Rehearsal is required for all graduates since you will receive full instructions about the academic procession and procedures. Commencement rehearsal will be held Tuesday, May 13th, at 5:30 p.m. in the Kennedy Center Ballroom. Please be prompt - it will take about one-half hour. If you have an unavoidable conflict, please notify one of the faculty marshals as soon as possible.
- ATTEND REQUIRED FINAL EXAMS. Students will be reminded that the approval of graduating seniors at the May 13th faculty meeting will be subject to change depending on the results of final exams and final grades. Therefore, not attending final exams, unless explicitly excused by the professor, could result in not graduating on May 17th.
- STUDENTS NOTIFIED THAT THEY ARE AT RISK OF NOT GRADUATING MUST GO TO REGISTRAR'S OFFICE TO CONFIRM GRADUATION STATUS. In light of the College policy regarding Commencement, students not planning to graduate in May might still be allowed to participate in the Commencement ceremony. Please contact Cathy Mansor in the Registrar's Office for more information. Any student who seems to be in danger of NOT GRADUATING (based on preliminary course grades) will be informed of this fact by phone, email, text, or registered mail between May 13th -16th. Students who receive such notices should see Cathy Mansor in the Registrar's Office by Friday, May 16th to be certain that they will graduate.
- UP-DATE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE IF YOUR MAILING ADDRESS HAS CHANGED. Diplomas for May graduates will be mailed by first class USPS delivery four to six weeks after commencement. Please make sure before you leave campus in May that the Registrar's Office has the correct mailing address on file since your location may have changed from when you completed your graduation audit.
- ATTEND SENIOR CELEBRATION EVENTS.
- BE ON TIME FOR CLASS PICTURE. A class picture will be taken commencement day in front of Bates Hall at 12:30 p.m. You must be prompt or miss being in the picture.
- BE ON TIME FOR LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT. All graduating students are to line up at Martin Field House. You MUST be there at 1:15 PM or risk not marching. If there are any changes to this, it will be announced at the rehearsal on May 13.