Lift, Breathe, Carry
About the Play
Lift, Breathe, Carry, is a piece that celebrates nursing and nurses through a series of poems by Jeanne Bryner. Eleven dancers bring nurses from Jeanne's poems alive on stage. The dancers interpret the poems through dance as a narrator speaks the works. The dancers move together, breathe together, and live these moments together.
About the Author
Jeanne Bryner, originally from Appalachia, is a graduate of Trumbull Memorial Hospital School of Nursing and Kent State University's Honors College. Her books in print are Breathless, Blind Horse: Poems, Eclipse: Stories, and Tenderly Lift Me: Nurses Honored, Celebrated and Remembered. She has received writing fellowships from Bucknell University, the Ohio Arts Council, and Vermont Studio Center. Jeanne is currently working at Forum Health, Trumbull Memorial Hospital and is an adjunct faculty member for Hiram College.
About Verb Ballets
The mission of Verb Ballets is to promote and develop interest in and appreciation for contemporary dance nationally, regionally, and locally through performance, programs that promote learning and nurture wellness, audience and community dialogue and advocacy efforts to support the art form. For more information about Verb Ballets, please visit their website.
- Performance of the play followed by an author's dialogue with Jeanne Bryner
- Performance of the play followed by a discussion with Center staffPerformance of the play with materials given for your group to use for discussion
- Performance of the play
- Selection of pieces from the play performed, followed by an author's dialogue with Jeanne Bryner
- Selection of pieces from the play performed, followed by a discussion with the Center staff
- Selection of pieces from the play performed with materials given for your group to use for discussion
- Selection of pieces from play performed
- In the future, there may be the possibility of offering Continuing Education Units (CEU's) with the performance and discussions.
If you would like Lift, Breathe, Carry to perform for your institution, please contact Brittany Jackson '04 at or 330-569-5380 for more information.