Are you or your company interested in offering an internship for a Hiram student? Click here
International Summer Symposia
The mission of the summer seminar is to bring together healthcare professionals with humanities scholars, creative artists, and educators in a dynamic, engaged community where they learn from each other, try out new ideas, and help shape the direction of biomedical humanities.
The goals of the summer seminar include:
- To refresh and stimulate the leaders and participants with challenging ideas and different perspectives.
- To give participants new ways of integrating humanistic perspectives and values into clinical settings and health professions education.
- To engage participants in theatre, creative writing, and other arts as complements to their professional work.
- To create educational materials that can be used to involve the public in much needed dialogue about health care issues.
Previous Symposia include:
- 2005 Human Enhancement Technologies: Dramatic Perspectives
- 2006 Global Healthcare Justice
- 2007 Leveraging Change: The Politics and Economics of Global Poverty and Health Care
- 2008 Symposium, Return to The House of God
- 2010 Symposium, The Role of Narrative in Science and Medicine: 1990 - 2010
- 2011 Symposium, On Healers and Healing
- 2014 Symposium, Age, Ability, and Healthcare
- 2016 Symposium, Emerging Diversities in Health Humanities Teaching