Science Scholarship Opportunity
Hiram College is one of a select few schools to participate in the prestigious Choose Ohio First initiative of the Ohio Board of Regents. Science and medicine have a long tradition of engaged learning at Hiram College. The state-funded Choose Ohio First scholarship program is designed to attract and retain the best and the brightest students in the field of bioscience and healthcare across Ohio. Hiram College is committed to the economic health of Ohio, and is seeking to develop a progressive, engaged learning program in science entrepreneurship, turning out graduates who help generate new science-related jobs and businesses. Choose Ohio First Scholars will engage in independent research, internships, and entrepreneurial experiences with student peers at Case Western Reserve University, Baldwin-Wallace College, Cleveland State University, and Cuyahoga Community College. When you graduate from Hiram, you will be ready to help advance economic development in northeast Ohio and across the state through your scientific efforts. For more information about this program or to read the full project description, please visit the Ohio Board of Regent's Choose Ohio First web-site.
If you apply and you are selected, what do we expect from you?
With the assistance of Hiram faculty, scholars will choose from hundreds of engaged learning opportunities throughout Northeast Ohio's growing bioscience and healthcare community, including hands-on experiences at the following partner institutions:
- Academic - Cleveland State University, Cuyahoga Community College, Hiram College, Baldwin-Wallace College, and Case Western Reserve University's Schools of Medicine and Biomedical Engineering;
- Industry - The Cleveland Clinic, BioEnterprise, and Jumpstart.
Choose Ohio First Scholars will be required to engage in four different activities at some time during their academic career at Hiram.
- Entrepreneurship Coursework - at least one course within Hiram's entrepreneurship minor or at one of our partner institutions.
- Research Experience - an independent research project in the laboratory;
- Internship/Coop Experience - an immersion experience in industry or working laboratory;
- Entrepreneurial Experience - mentoring by local science entrepreneurs, bioscience business incubators, or start-up companies.
Choose Ohio First Scholars will be required to report each year regarding their progress in these activities through their student electronic portfolios.
How do you apply to be a Choose Ohio First Scholar?
If you are interested in accepting the Choose Ohio First scholarship grant and participating in the Scholars program, you must do the following:
- Apply for Admission to Hiram College, and submit all of your required supporting credentials, and receive an offer of admission to Hiram College. You must indicate an interest in a program of study in an area of science such as biology, biochemistry, biomedical humanities, neuroscience, chemistry, and nursing.
- You must ALSO complete the separate Choose Ohio First Scholarship form to let us know of your interest
- You must EITHER apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA and listing Hiram College as a school you wish your records sent to, OR when you compete your Application of Admission indicate that you do not plan on filing the FAFSA.
There are a limited number of scholarships that we are able to offer. You will discover if you are a recipient when you receive your Award Letter from Student Financial Aid. In general, the selection guidelines for students to be offered a Choose Ohio First Scholarship are:
- Successful completion or current enrollment in biology and chemistry and either physics or anatomy and physiology with grade of "B" or better in each
- Successful completion of high school math up through Algebra II or the equivalent with grades of B or better in all math classes
- An overall cumulative high school grade point average of 3.5 or above (or the equivalent)
- ACT scores of 24 or higher in math, science reasoning, and composite, or SAT math of 560 or higher, or if you rank in the top 10% of your graduating class, ACT and SAT scores will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
- Only students who indicate an interest in following a program of study (intended major) on their Application for Admission in biology, biochemistry, biomedical humanities, neuroscience, chemistry, and nursing will be considered for a Choose Ohio First Scholarship
Requirements for Annual Grant Renewal
You will be eligible for up to $4700 of grant support each of your four years at Hiram if you maintain the following standards.
- College Grade Point Average of 3.0 overall
- Declaration of major within life/health sciences - biology, biochemistry, biomedical humanities, neuroscience, chemistry, nursing
- Active participation in Choose Ohio First Scholars programming
If you have any questions about the program or the associated opportunities, please contact Dr. Brad Goodner, Associate Professor of Biology at