Join us every Wednesday evening for an hour or two of stimulating conversation with local entrepreneurs! If you have ever wondered how businesses or organizations get started, here's the chance to find out.
Each Wednesday an entrepreneur will tell their story. Some of these entrepreneurs may be well seasoned, some may be just starting out. Hear how they did it...what they did right...what they might do differently...what they might do next!
So meet us in the East Hall Lobby at 7 p.m. by the fireplace.
Fireside Chats - Fall 2013
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
“A Brighter Idea!” with Gary Allen, Physicist, Principal Engineer, LED Innovation Team, General Electric. Gary Allen has spent his career finding ways to improve on Edison’s invention of the incandescent light bulb. With over 40 issued US Patents, his recent contributions include the world’s first Energy Star certified LED replacement for the traditional incandescent light bulb, and a line of no-glare LED PAR lamps that can replace halogen reflector lamps, both products providing ~80% lower energy consumption. Come hear this TEDxCLE2013 speaker talk about being an innovator and leading a lighting revolution.
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Making a Difference! with Rob Nicholson, serial, social entrepreneur and Founder, Nicholson Center. The Nicholson Center is a non-profit organization in Warren, Ohio that provides employment and training for adults with developmental disabilities or special needs in Trumbull County. Rob is a serial and social entrepreneur with companies in home healthcare, real estate, auto racing, t-shirts, and more. Rob founded the Nicholson Center to put his business talents to work while improving his community. Come hear his story.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
The Psychology of Management! with Dr. Kimberly Bell, Management Psychologist, PRADCO. Celebrating its 50th year anniversary, PRADCO has since evolved its business model to include products and services that will improve employee performance through research, evaluation and attitudinal criteria mapping. Come hear Kim talk about how companies are using psychology methodologies to improve employee leadership skills specifically in the areas of innovation and strategic thinking, to ultimately impact the bottom line.
Wednesday, October 9, 2013 – Disability Awareness Week
It’s What You Say, Now How You Say It! with Nobby Lewandowski. Simply but, Nobby stutters. Once told that his flawed speech represented an inability to communicate, Nobby became determined to never let his speech challenge be an impediment to his success. Nobby has become a huge success - from his career as a professional baseball player to founding one of the largest accounting firms in Northeast Ohio to becoming a public speaker. He helps his audience understand facing adversity and obstacles can result in building strong character and be the foundation of success.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Lights, Camera, Action! with Nancy Carver Adams ’65 & Matt Starr, Co-Owners, I-CONN Video Production. Over the past decade, I-CONN has been instrumental in helping many non-profit organizations raise money and awareness on community issues, while developing commercial ads and training videos for their corporate clients. Come hear Nancy and Matt share their entrepreneurial story and journey.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Liberal Arts for a Life Time! with Marshall Winkle ’57, retired HR Director, Ariel Corporation. As a Hiram English major, Marshall went on to have a long and success career in Human Resources. Come hear Marshall’s story of how to land a job, create a career and a lifetime of success.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
What Color Are Your Glasses? with Mel McGee, CEO& Director of Technology, Sales Whale, President, imageNation, and Google Glass Explorer. As an online marketer, web application developer, and technology educator, Mel combined her interests in computing, design, marketing psychology in a creative, unique way, allowing her to create two online marketing and web development businesses. She is a wearable computing expert, having built her first wearable computer 12 years ago on the forefront of the technology, and was selected as one of the first to test Google Glass. Come hear her entrepreneurial story.
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
The Business of Healing! with Dr. John Cassidy ’76, CMO, CEO, President, Nexus Health Systems. An award-winning neuropsychiatrist and former Harvard Medical School professor, Dr. Cassidy helped found the traumatic brain injury program at Boston’s McLean Hospital and in 1992 formed Nexus Health Systems. Come hear how he challenged the system to create a physician-led, completely patient-focused, home-like environment to provide post-acute, transitional and vocational rehabilitation services to children and adults suffering from traumatic brain injuries.
Fireside Chats - Spring 2013
- Partnering with a Winning Brand! with Sal Baglieri, Owner/Operator, McDonald’s (1/16/13)
- Keepin’ It Fresh! with Trevor Clatterbuck, founder, Fresh Fork Market (1/23/13)
- A Dynamic Duo! with Halle and Benjamin Barnett, co-owners media.schmedia and mighty little websites.com (1/30/13)
- Helping Students Achieve! with Jimmy Malone, co-host of the Lanigan & Malone Show on WMJI 105.7 FM, and founder of the Malone Scholarship Fund (2/6/13)
- Money from a Hole in the Ground! with Nick Barron, founder, Hole Patch, LLC (2/13/13)
- Providing Support for Start-ups! with Jack Crews, President & CEO, Regional Economic Growth Corporation (2/20/13)
- Revolutionizing Recycling! with Jay Schabel, CEO of RESPolyflow (3/13/13)
- Launching Bio-Tech Spin-Outs! with Al Hawkins, Vice President of Business Development, BioMotiv LLC (3/20/13)
- An Entrepreneur’s Day at the Beach! with Debbie Kuhn ‘86, founder girltrunks (3/27/13)
Fireside Chats - Fall 2012
- The Business of Art! with Anthony (Tony) Mastromatteo, artist (9/5/12)
- Mustard: It's not just a Condiment! with Jim '88 and Karen '89 Scher, Owners (9/12/12)
- For-Profit Meets Not-For-Profit! with Jennifer Fredricks '95, President, Cancer Angel Network and Phire Branded Apparel and Graphics (9/19/12)
- Baking Up Success! with Christina Benton '02 WEC, owner Just Pizzelles (9/26/12)
- Spice it Up! with Sally Koepke, co-founder, Mom's Gourmet, LLC. (10/10/12)
- Healthy Food from a Vending Machine?! with Tim Klug, co-founder, Essentially Organic Vending (10/17/12)
- The Family Business! with James Busch '86, President, Busch Funeral Homes (10/24/12)
- Find a Need and Fill It! with Bonnie Warren, Owner, Comfort Keepers (10/31/12)
- Discovering Your Authentic Work! with Harriet Rubin, founder of Currency Imprint and Double Day Publishing; contributing editor for Fast Company Magazine; author; journalist; and Woodrow Wilson Visiting Fellow (11/7/12)
Fireside Chats - Spring 2012
- Acting Intrapreneurially! with Erik Weyls, President, Coventya, Inc. (1/18/12)
- Applying 21st Century Technology to a Centuries-Old Process! With Tom Lix, CEO, Cleveland Whiskey (1/25/12)
- A Family E-Affair! with Bill Moss ’79, President, Towpath Polymers and David Moss, Founder, MossMedia (2/1/12)
- Hatching Great Ideas! With Jim Cossler, Chief Evangelist, Youngstown Business Incubator, John Dearborn, President, JumpStart Inc., and Dar Caldwell, Founder and managing Partner, Shaker LaunchHouse (2/8/12)
- The Internship Queen! with Lauren Berger, CEO of Intern Queen Inc. and National College Speaker (2/15/12)
- The Power of Love! with Alka Subramanian, Founder, Power of Love Foundation (2/22/12)
- Success= Integrity + Connecting the Dots! with Dr. Fujita, Founder, President and CEO, Quality Electrodynamics LLC (QED) (2/29/12)
- Focused on Success! with Lisa Orlandi, Founder and President of Focus Design Technologies (3/14/12)
- Building a Bio-Enterprise in Northeast Ohio! with Jon Snyder, President and CEO, Neuros Medical (3/21/12)
Fireside Chats - Fall 2011
- Sweet Entrepreneurship! with Joel Fink, owner, Fantasy Candy (9/7/11)
- Envisioning Success! with Tony Manna, President, Signet Enterprises (9/14/11)
- Manufacturing in a Global Economy! with Michael Canty, CEO, President and Chairman of Alloy Bellows (9/21/11)
- Food, Glorious Food! with Anne Hayman '88, chef and owner, On the Spot Gourmet (9/28/11)
- A Business Born of Necessity! with Kimberlee Ullner, Founder, President, 1-2-3 Gluten Free (10/5/11)
- Take Note! with Art Geigel '05, President and Founder, Ground Booth Software, Inc. (10/12/11)
- From Hiram College to Silicon Valley! with Jim Waschura '83, President and Founder, SyntheSys Research, Inc. (10/19/11)
- The Art of the Merger! with Doug Grimm '84, Chairman, President & CEO, Grede Holdings LLC. (10/26/11)
- The Art of Publishing! with Molly McQuade (11/9/11)
- Collaborating to be Green! with Bud Perry and Robert Stockham, Principals of Great Lakes Design (11/16/11)
Fireside Chats - Spring 2011
- The Business of Art! with Clayton Pond (1/19/2011)
- International Entrepreneur! with Isaac Yomtovian (1/26/2011)
- The Art of the Merger! with Doug Grimm '84, Chairman, President & CEO, Grede Holdings LLC (2/2/2011)
- GREENnPower! with Aaron LeMieux, Founder & CEO, Tremont Electric (2/9/2011)
- Exit Strategy! with Kipp Krukowski, Owner & President, Confidential Business Sales, Inc. (2/16/2011)
- On the Move with Mobile Food! with Chris Hodgson and Jeremy Esterly, owners, Dim and Den Sum Food Truck (2/23/2011) From Nurse to CEO! with Sandra Maddock, CEO & President, IMARC Research (3/16/2011) A Non-Profit Acting Entrepreneurially! with Dennis Allen, CEO, Hattie Larlham (3/23/2011) Measure 'Em Up! with Alex Neals, President, MeasureMeUp! (3/30/2011) A Lifestyle Brand of Doing Well While Doing Good! with Sharie Renee, Creator and President, Cosmic Bobbins (4/6/11)
- Fireside Chats - Fall 2010
- Mustard, It's Not Just a Condiment! with Jim '88 and Karen '89 Scher, Owners (9/8/10)
- Acting Intrapreneurially! with Erik Weyls, President, Coventya, Inc. (9/15/10)
- Global E-Commerce! with Michael Keresman III, CEO, President and Chairman of CardinalCommerce Corporation (9/22/10)
- Risky Business! with Steve Osborn, President, Trilogy Plastics (9/29/10)
- Imagine "What If...! with Jennifer Miller '01, Founder, President, Mission Savvy (10/6/10) Supporting New Business in Northeast Ohio! with Dennis Cocco & Cliff Reynolds, Co-Directors, GLIDE and the Innovation Fund (10/13/10)
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Goat Cheese! Part II, with Jean Mackenzie, founder of Mackenzie Creamery (10/20/10)
- Building a Bio-Enterprise in Northeast Ohio! with Jon Snyder, President and CEO, Neuros Medical (10/27/10)
- Building the Future, One Venture at a Time! with Bill Recker, Hiram Trustee and Founder, IronBridge Partners (11/10/10)
- On the Cutting Edge in Garrettsville! with Bill Whittenberger, President Catacel (11/17/10)