Hiram College

Housing Sign Up FAQs

How do I request a single based on medical need?

If you are a student with a disability or special need, contact Dr. Feisthamel, Director of Counseling, Health and Disability Services, at FeisthamelKP@hiram.edu or by calling 330.569.5418.  All accommodation requests relating to a disability must have current supporting documentation from an appropriate professional.  The request must contain a diagnosis, current functional limitations of the disability or condition in a community living environment, and suggested recommendations for environmental modification. When this information has been reviewed, the Coordinator of Student Disability Services will provide the Residential Education Office with housing recommendations. Required paperwork must be received by Wednesday, March 14th.

I am a rising senior, but I want to live with a rising sophomore.  Will their high lottery number affect our choice in room?

No, the rising senior with the better lottery number would pull in the rising sophomore roommate with the lower lottery number.

How can I get into East Hall or the Townhouses?

East Hall and the Townhouses will use separate housing applications. Applications must be completely filled out with all four, six, or eight potential roommates.  Applicants will be notified prior to room selection if they have been approved to live into East Hall or the Townhouses. Applications are available online and can be accessed on www.hiram.edu beginning February 28, 2018 and completed applications are due by March 14, 2018 at 11:59 pm.  Applicants will be notified on March 21, 2018 with a decision on their applications.

Will you continue to set aside rooms for incoming students?

Clusters of rooms will be set aside (in addition to first year floors) for incoming students. The goal is to prevent incoming students from being the only first year student in a section or on a floor. As in past years, when possible, upperclassmen who wish to request a room that has been reserved for incoming student housing, may do so. Requests will be considered, based on space being available, following first year housing assignments.

What if I can’t make it to Room sign-ups?

If you are unable to be at Room Sign-ups, you may designate someone to be your proxy.  He/she must bring your signed contract and proxy form to the appropriate Room Sign-up time.  Proxy forms are available in the Residential Education Office in Bates Hall.

What happens if I don’t have a roommate, but I want a double room?

You may not sign up for a double room without a roommate.  In order to assist you in finding a roommate, we will provide you with names of others who do not have roommates and also a chance to meet.  You may still contract with us, however, you will not be placed in a room until you have been paired with a roommate. We will have a roommate board, where you will be able to fill out a profile and place it up for others who may not have a roommate to choose from. You may also contact a student off the roommate board which will be found outside the Residential Education Office.

What if I lose my roommate after room sign-ups?

You will have to forfeit your room unless you find another roommate to pull in, filling the room to capacity.  You will be added to the “no roommate” list of students who need rooms. All unassigned students will receive a room assignment during the summer.

Will Super-singles be available next year?

A number of double rooms in various buildings will be set aside during housing sign-ups for super singles.  Additional availability of rooms will be assessed during the summer and students on the waitlist will be notified should rooms become available.

What if I am student teaching?

If you are at the point of student teaching, you have met the minimum 90 credit hours needed to be released from housing.  You may choose to move off campus, however, you must submit a Withdrawal from Housing Application. This form is available in the Residential Education Office. If you desire to return to campus after you have completed your student teaching this is an option.

What if I want to stay over summer?

A separate application for summer housing will be available.  Summer housing locations are still being decided. Applications will be available beginning Monday, April 9th and will be due by Friday, April 27th at 4:30 pm in the Residential Education Office.  If you are interested in being a Summer RA, please mark the appropriate box on the Summer Housing Application.  An additional application may be required to apply as a Summer RA.  Additional information regarding summer housing will be available on the Summer Housing Contract.

What if I want to live off-campus?

Students who will have achieved a senior status (at least 90 credits) by the end of the spring semester may request an exemption. Please contact the Residential Education office to inquire about the process for moving off-campus. There is a withdrawal process you must go through to avoid being charged for room and board.