Hiram Leadership Application Process (LAP)
Hiram College has a variety of leadership positions for students who desire to make a difference on campus beyond the classroom and club memberships. Although students receive payment for LAP positions, the impact of their leadership can be seen in the classroom, the residence halls, and anywhere in between. However, leadership is not only being in a position of authority and having a title. Leadership is knowing also how to follow, how to work with a team, how to support others, and much more; being a leader is a responsibility.
The skills that you develop while in college will stay with you for a lifetime. Communication, decision making, and working with a team are just a few of the many skills that you will gain or sharpen by becoming a student leader. Employers find great value in employees with well developed problem solving, organizational, and planning skills. They also value character traits such as integrity, adaptability, and determination. Our Leadership positions are designed to complement and enhance your academic experiences while developing you in each of these areas.
Leadership can mean many things but for those involved in the Leadership Application Process it means fulfilling a role that serves others with purpose, commitment, and accountability. We also believe true leadership is the ability to apply ethical decision making to achieve personal and organization goals. As a leader you will be an integral part of the effort to meet the needs of the Hiram community.
If you are interested in taking that next step to becoming a member of our leadership team, check the information below for available opportunities and the application deadlines.
|ARCH Tutor – Stephanie Simpson, Coordinator of Academic Development, SimpsonSA@hiram.edu, x6185|
|International Peer Assistant – Nicole Gatrell, Director of International Student Services, GatrellNR@hiram.edu, x5388|
|Orientation Leader – Heather Balas, BalasHM@hiram.edu, Director of Career Services x5132|
|Peer Career & Academic Assistant (PC&AA) – Heather Balas, BalasHM@hiram.edu, Director of Career Services x5131|
|Resident Assistant – Kelly Johns, email@example.com Coordinator of Housing Operations, X6108 or any Residential Education Staff Member|
|Service Leader – Mary Taylor,Community Service Coordinator,TaylorM2@hiram.edu, x5420|
|Teaching Assistant – Dee West, Associate Dean of Students and Director of Diversity and Inclusion, WestDE@hiram.edu, x5237|
|Terrier Guide – Marcus Bailey, Admissions Counselor, firstname.lastname@example.org, x5169.|
|Welcome Center Staff Member – Nikole Benjamin, Administrative Assistant, Campus Safety, BenjaminNL@hiram.edu, x5188|
To complete an application for the LAP Process please do the following:
|Timeline:||Action Items:||Additional Info:|
|Recommendation Forms DUE Friday, January 26th, 2018||Recommendation Forms||One recommendation needs to come from an individual in the Hiram College Community.
Online Recommendation Forms must be submitted before 5 PM on January 26, 2018.
|Online Applications DUE Friday, January 26th, 2018||Application Form||You must attach your resume as a PDF in this application.
Applications are due online at 5pm Friday, January 26 and you will receive an email confirmation that you have filled out the form correctly.
|Individual and Interactive Interviews –
Wednesday, January 31st – Friday, February 23rd 2018
|You will be emailed a link to set up your individual interview||Individual interviews will be conducted by the office you are applying to. Please see information above.|
|Decision Letters – Friday, March 2nd 2018 at noon||Decision Letters can be picked up from The Welcome Center during normal desk hours.||Please read your Decision Letter carefully; each position requires different actions to accept or deny the position.|
- Minimum requirements for each position must be met in order for an applicant to continue in the process. This includes being in good academic and judicial standing. Please note that some positions have minimum GPA requirements. Be sure to carefully read the job description for the position(s) for which you are applying. You must have this GPA at the time of appointment and at the positions “official” start date in the next academic year.
- Successful candidates must attend two mandatory development training/workshops and the kickoff meeting in March 2018, dates to be determined.
- Resident Assistants may not serve as Teaching Assistant without approval from supervisors. International Peer Assistants may not serve as Resident Assistants and Teaching Assistants.
- To Be An RA informational session will be held January 10th, 18th, and 22nd – locations to be announced.
- All applicants can only apply to and preference for FOUR positions. Carefully choose positions that match your strengths and skills. Many of these positions will take dedicated time out of your schedules, therefore please take this into account before applying.
- Do not submit your application until you know the names of your 2 recommenders. You should ensure that your recommenders know that you would like them to serve as a reference for the LAP positions and to which positions you are applying. Recommenders should be able to comment on your qualifications and strengths, as well as areas in which you may need to improve. You may want to provide them with a copy of the job description(s) and a copy of your resume so they can write an informed recommendation.
- You will need to upload a resume with your online application. For resume assistance, you may utilize the services of the Career Center. Career Development is eager to help you write an effective resume to obtain a leadership position. Use one or more of the sources for resume help:
- Resume Worksheet
- Basic Resume Writing Guide
- Resume ER – Friday, January 19, 2018 from 6-8pm in Hinsdale 101.
- Resume Review hours in Career Development, Hinsdale 101 – Wednesday, January 17 and Thursday, January 18 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Individual appointments in the Career center; call 330-569-5131 or e-mail email@example.com.