CONGRATULATIONS … almost!
It is the responsibility of all graduating students to complete certain tasks in preparation for graduation. Completion of tasks will assure the student is able to participate in celebratory events and the commencement ceremony as planned.
GRADUATE’S TO-DO LIST:
The following ‘to-do list’ is a tool to assist each student. It is intended to assure there is a clear understanding of what needs to happen as graduation approaches. Please review this information carefully and contact the appropriate office with any questions.
- ON FEBRUARY 15, 2017 FROM 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. OR FEBRUARY 16, 2017 FROM 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. STOP BY AND SPEND ABOUT 15 MINUTES AT COUNTDOWN TO GRADUATION IN THE KENNEDY CENTER MAIN LOUNGE. You can come by any time during the times listed and make your arrangements to graduate as listed below along with entering to win great prizes. If you are unable to attend Countdown, please call or email Heather Balas at 330.569.5132 or email@example.com to discuss your final preparations:
- Check with Financial Aid, Student Accounts and the Registrar to be sure you are completing all requirements necessary to graduate.
- Find out about Commencement day along with the celebrations planned during the days leading up to Commencement. And, get all your questions about Commencement answered in one place.
- Place orders for your cap and gown, class ring and diploma frame.
- Talk to the Career & Academic Development office to learn the three key steps to get your career plans moving forward.
- Check in with the Office of Alumni Relations and learn about the senior class gift.
- BE SURE YOU HAVE APPLIED TO GRADUATE ALREADY AND MET FOR A GRADUATION AUDIT. December graduates should have applied and met for an audit by November 15. Those graduating in May must apply and meet for an audit by February 1. Contact Christie Borkan in the Registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. For further information, go to http://www.hiram.edu/academic-support-services/registrar/graduation-requirements.
- BE SURE THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE HAS YOUR CORRECT MAILING ADDRESS. The Registrar confirms each student’s current mailing address during the graduation petition meeting. If you believe that this address is incorrect, you need to contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Commencement information letters will be mailed out in March to the mailing address you have on file in the registrar’s office. If you have an additional immediate family address that you would like Commencement information sent to, you must contact the Office of Special Events by the end of February at 330.569.5900 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Most importantly, this mailing address is used for sending your diploma. For the August and December graduates, diplomas are typically sent within a few weeks to your most recently updated mailing address that you provided to either the Registrar’s Office or the Alumni Office.
- ORDER CAPS AND GOWNS. If you didn’t do this at Countdown to Graduation, be sure to order your cap and gown through www.herffjones.com/college/graduation OR by placing your order in the book store. DEADLINE IS March 17, 2017.
- ORDER GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS (Optional). Personalized graduation announcements are available to order through the Bookstore. Check with the Bookstore on cost and delivery when ordering.
- DIRECT LOAN AND PERKINS LOAN BORROWERS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE EXIT COUNSELING BEFORE GRADUATION. To complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling log on to www.studentloans.gov. To complete the Perkins Loan Exit Counseling log on to www.uasexit.com. Questions regarding the Direct Loan Exit Counseling can be answered by calling the Financial Aid Office at 330.569.5107. Questions about the Perkins Loan Exit Counseling can be directed to Brett Riebau at 330.569.5119.
- Complete the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). Check your email for an invitation in Early February. The NSSE is a survey used by Hiram to understand students’ educational experiences. You’ll receive a free donut or coffee from Maggie’s just for participating. Contact Maria O’Connor at email@example.com with questions.
MARCH & APRIL (note April 28 deadline for Commencement registration)
- REGISTER FOR COMMENCEMENT TICKETS AND THE COMMENCEMENT BRUNCH TICKETS ALONG WITH SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION PARKING. For Commencement and the brunch, discuss plans with your family and friends. Be sure to register for Commencement tickets, complimentary brunch tickets plus order and purchase additional brunch tickets if needed by April 28, 2017 using the on-line registration system. You can also register by calling or e-mailing the Events Office on 330.569.5900 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Details can be found under Commencement Registration and Tickets.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS. Be sure to schedule a meeting with the Director of International Student Services to discuss post-graduate planning.
APRIL THROUGH BEGINNING OF MAY
- JOIN THE ONLINE ALUMNI COMMUNITY. As a Hiram College alumni, you automatically join a career network of more than 15,000 alumni.
- The easiest way to take advantage of this is through the online alumni community. Register at alumni.hiram.edu to connect with others in your career field and geographic area.
- In addition, stay in touch with classmates through your class page and blog, post an online class note, and let others know what you are up to. This is also a great way to keep Hiram updated with your contact information to ensure you receive all of our communications about opportunities for alumni.
- Join the Hiram College Alumni Facebook and Linked In groups. Just search “Hiram College Alumni” on both sites to find those groups.
- RETURN YOUR LIBRARY MATERIALS AND PAY ANY LIBRARY FINES.
- CHECK YOUR eBILLS WEEKLY BEGINNING IN APRIL. Beginning in April, check your eBills regularly for any outstanding balance that must be paid. Any final charges such as library fines, parking fines, Health Center charges, etc. are continually added to your bill as quickly as possible so please check WEEKLY and watch for emails from Student Accounts and bills in the mail. You can access your bill on-line though eBill safely and securely 24/7 by logging into student portal & clicking on eBill link. Payments can be made through the link on eBill, at www.hiram.edu/paymybill, at the Student Accounts Counter, or by mail. Hiram College reserves the right to withhold a student’s grades, transcript, and diploma if there is an unpaid balance.
- PICK UP YOUR CAP AND GOWN STARTING ON MAY 1, 2017 in the Bookstore.
- PICK UP TICKETS THAT YOU REGISTERED FOR. The Commencement tickets, complimentary and paid in full Commencement brunch tickets and special accommodation parking tickets will be available for pick up at the Kennedy Center Welcome desk starting on Monday, May 8 until Friday, May 12.
- ATTEND REHEARSAL. Attendance at Commencement Rehearsal is required for all graduates since you will receive full instructions about the academic procession and procedures. Commencement rehearsal will be held on Thursday, May 11 at noon in the Kennedy Center Ballroom. Please be prompt – it will take about one-half hour. If you have an unavoidable conflict, please notify one of the faculty marshals as soon as possible.
- ATTEND REQUIRED FINAL EXAMS. Students will be reminded that the approval of graduating seniors at the May 9 faculty meeting will be subject to change depending on the results of final exams and final grades. Therefore, not attending final exams, unless explicitly excused by the professor, could result in not graduating on May 13.
- STUDENTS NOTIFIED THAT THEY ARE AT RISK OF NOT GRADUATING MUST GO TO REGISTRAR’S OFFICE TO CONFIRM GRADUATION STATUS. In light of the College policy regarding Commencement, students not planning to graduate in May might still be allowed to participate in the Commencement ceremony. Please contact Christie Borkan in the Registrar’s Office for more information at 330.569.5213. Any student who seems to be in danger of NOT GRADUATING (based on preliminary course grades) will be informed of this fact by phone, email, text or registered mail between May 9 -12. Students who receive such notices should see Christie Borkan in the Registrar’s Office by Friday, May 12 to be certain that they will graduate.
- UP-DATE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE IF YOUR MAILING ADDRESS HAS CHANGED. Diplomas for May graduates will be mailed by first class USPS delivery four to six weeks after Commencement. Please make sure before you leave campus in May that the Registrar’s Office has the correct mailing address on file since your location may have changed from when you completed your graduation audit.
- ATTEND SENIOR CELEBRATION EVENTS.
- BE ON TIME FOR CLASS PICTURE. A class picture will be taken commencement day in front of Bates Hall at 12:30 p.m. You must be prompt or miss being in the picture.
- BE ON TIME FOR LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT. All graduating students are to line up at Fleming Field House in Coleman Sports Center. You MUST be there at 1 p.m. or risk not marching.