Rankings and Recognition
Founded in 1850, Hiram College is one of the 200 oldest post-secondary institutions in the U.S. From among the more than 4,000 colleges and universities in the U.S., Hiram is nationally recognized by others as a leading college of liberal arts and sciences:
- The Princeton Review featured Hiram College in its 2015 edition of the "Best 378 Colleges".
- U.S. News & World Report ranked Hiram highly in its 2016 National Liberal Arts College Rankings and a "Best in the Midwest" College .
- Forbes Magazine ranks Hiram College among its 650 colleges and universities in the U.S. in "Forbes Best Colleges." Rankings are based on affordability and productivity with a focus on what a college can do for the student, not what the student can do for the College.
- Washington Monthly magazine ranked Hiram highly in its annual ranking of liberal arts colleges in 2016. It rates schools based on their contribution to the public good in social mobility, research and service. It also considers Hiram a “Best Bang for the Buck” school, based on the economic value for students.
- One of only 10 percent of all U.S. colleges and universities to house a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the oldest and most prestigious undergraduate honor society in the United States.
- Hiram is a member of the Colleges that Change Lives organization, which highlights colleges that promote lifelong love of learning and provide the foundation for successful and fulfilling lives beyond college.
- Additionally, Hiram College voluntarily participates in the Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA). Developed by the nonprofit Council for Aid to Education, this tool tests the higher-order critical thinking, analysis and communication skills that all college students should learn during undergraduate study. Nationwide, over 370 institutions and 110,000 students participate in the CLA. The CLA report summary statement for Hiram College says, "Hiram College contributes more to the learning gains made by students than 92 percent of the undergraduate institutions participating. Hiram College performed well above expected."
Hiram College CLA Results
|Percentile Rank||Performance Level|
|First-year students||67||At expected level|
|Seniors||98||Well above expected level|
|Value-added estimate||92||Well above expected level|