Health Forms and Immunizations Frequently Asked Questions

What is an MMR vaccination?

MMR is a vaccination that prevents 1) Measles 2) Mumps 3) Rubella.

Return to top

The Health Form says I must have two MMR vaccinations. My country requires only one vaccination. Must I take the second vaccination?

Yes. The American College Health Association and the US Government requires two (2) MMR vaccinations before you can attend university in the United States.

Return to top

What if I can't get the MMR vaccinations in my home country?

You can receive vaccination at the Hiram College Health Center within the first semester of academic study at Hiram College. The live vaccine is given in two injections, one month apart. The cost is approximately USD$50.00 for each injection.

Return to top

What if I have had one or two of the diseases covered by the MMR? Do I have to take two MMR vaccinations? For example, I have had Rubella and Mumps in my childhood, but, I did NOT have Measles.

YES. You must have two MMR vaccinations even if you have had one or two of the three diseases.

Return to top

What is the difference between a "Tuberculosis Screening" and a "Tuberculosis Skin Test"?

Tuberculosis Screening --The screening is an examination in which the doctor examines you physically, explores your medical history and asks questions regarding your activities/background to determine if you have symptoms consistent with those of Tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis Skin Test--In the skin test, a doctor injects a small amount of Tuberculin derivative in the lower arm. Within three days, the doctor examines the arm and checks the size, in millimeters, of the red area that develops. Based on this examination, the doctor can determine if you show signs or symptoms of the disease. If the skin test is positive, you will be required to submit a chest x-ray. Please send or bring a copy of the chest x-ray with you to Hiram College.

Return to top

My doctor doesn't know what a Tuberculosis Skin Test is. What do ask him to do?

Doctor's Information: To conduct a correct Tuberculosis Skin Test = Mantoux only: Inject 0.1 ml of purified protein derivative [PPD] tuberculin containing 5 tuberculin units [TU] intradermally into the volar [inner] surface of the forearm. A history of BCG vaccination does not exempt testing a member of a high-risk group.

Return to top

Section 'H', number #2 on the health form mentions students who are "members of a high-risk group." What are the "high risk groups"?

  • People infected with HIV
  • People who use drugs
  • People who live/work/volunteer in a high-risk place (such as a prison, elderly facility, hospitals)
  • People who have serious health conditions
  • People who live in countries where TB occurs

Return to top

What countries are NOT in the "high risk group?"

American Samoa, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cayman Islands, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, U.S. Virgin Islands, and the United States.

Return to top

What if I am from a "high risk" country but I do NOT have any signs or symptoms of Tuberculosis?

Even if you do not have any symptoms, if your country is NOT among those listed above, you are required to have a Tuberculosis Skin Test.

Return to top

I have had Bacille Calmette-Guérin Vaccine (BCG) in my country. My doctor says that I have NO Tuberculosis symptoms. Do I have to complete the Tuberculosis Skin Test?

Yes. You must have a Tuberculosis Skin Test within six months prior to entering the U.S. You may have had a Bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) Vaccination. BCG is a live vaccine recommended by World Health Organization for all newborns in developing countries in an attempt to prevent the spread of the disease and the life-threatening manifestations of M. Tuberculosis. However, it is not 100% effective in preventing infection. A Tuberculosis Screening and/or BCG vaccination ARE NOT recognized by the US and cannot replace the Tuberculosis Skin Test.

Return to top

What if my country doesn't have a Tuberculosis Skin Test?

If your country does not offer or allow you to have a Tuberculosis Skin Test, then submit a chest x-ray with your physician's results to the College Health Center.

Return to top

I had a Tuberculosis Skin Test last year. Do I have to do it again?

YES. In order to enter the US and attend college or university, you MUST receive a Tuberculosis Skin Test within the past six (6) months. If you are transferring to Hiram from another institution in the United States, it is required if your last Tuberculosis Skin Test is more than six months past.

Return to top

What if I have NOT had the Varicella disease (Chicken Pox)?

In the U.S., Varicella is extremely common among children. If you are exposed to this disease as an adult and have had no preventative vaccination, it can result in serious health problems.

We advise immunization prior to arrival in the U.S. If your country does not have this vaccine available, you may receive it at the Hiram College Health Center. The Varicella vaccination contain live vaccine and consist of two injections 4 weeks apart at a total approximate cost of USD$170.

Return to top

What if I need BOTH the Tuberculosis Skin Test AND the Varicella Vaccination?

If you need to receive your Tuberculosis Skin Test and the Varicella vaccinations at about the same time, they must be taken on the SAME DAY.

If you DO NOT take the Tuberculosis Skin Test and the Varicella vaccination on the same day, you must take the TB Skin test first, receive the first Varicella injection one month later, and finally receive the second Varicella injection 4 weeks after the first.

▲  Return to Top