International Undergraduate Application Process
Candidates for first-year will apply to Hiram College using the new International Student Application. No application fee is required.
Hiram College bases admission on your prior academic preparation and performance, not your intended field of study. If you have multiple interests or are unsure of your intended college major, specify your primary interest from among those you are considering. After you arrive at Hiram, it is possible to change your major and the I-20 can be updated to reflect the change.
If you are unable to apply online, please use the Information Request link and specify that you were unable to complete the Common Application.
Priority Dates for Application and Scholarship
Applications and documents received after priority dates are processed on a space-available basis.
Fall (August) Semester
- August 1: Priority Application available
- October 1: File FAFSA for need-based financial aid (U.S. Citizens only)
- December 1: Application deadline for Trustee and Presidential Scholarship consideration (U.S. Citizens only)
- January 15: Eclectic Scholar Honors Program priority application date
- February 15: Priority Application deadline
- May 1: DEPOSIT deadline
- June 15: Final Application Deadline
Spring (January) Semester
- July 1: Priority application available
- October 1: Priority application deadline
- November 15: DEPOSIT deadline
First-Year Undergraduate Students
To apply as a first-year student you must submit the following required documents:
- International Student Application
- Secondary School Transcript (including exit examinations, graduation certificates and diplomas)
- TOEFL or IELTS, a qualifying score in either exam is required to determine English proficiency
- Personal essay (recommended)
- Skype/Phone Interview (recommended)
- Skype ID: HiramAdmissions
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship (not required for U.S. Citizens/PR)
- Supporting financial documentation from each funding source (not required for U.S. Citizens/PR)
Secondary School Records
Evidence of successful progress toward or completion of secondary school can be documented with diplomas, certificates, and/or results of external or school leaving examinations appropriate to your secondary educational program. These may include, but are not limited to SSC/HSC, CXC, Advanced Subsidiary, A Level, WASSCE, and other comparable examinations.
Proof of English Proficiency
English proficiency can be documented through any one of the following (or comparable credential with the approval of the Office of Admission):
- TOEFL (code: 1297) = iBT = 79, paper-based = 550
- IELTS band score = 6.0
- (Old) SAT (code: 1297) = Critical Reading = 460
- (New) SAT (code: 1297) = EBRW = To be determined by Admissions
- ACT (Code: 3280) = English score = 20 (22 minimum for Nursing)
- PTE Academic score = 58
A TOEFL/IELTS exam is not required for students meeting at least one of the following:
- GCE A-level English = Grade B or above
- IB Higher Level (HL) English = Score 5 or above
- AP English = Score 4 or higher
- Successful completion of ELS Level 112 English for Academic Purposes certificate
Conditional Admission with ELS
- Hiram College cannot return materials submitted as a part of the application process.
- Documents such as transcripts, marks sheets, certificates and diplomas must be original or certified true copies sent directly from the issuing institution. We strongly recommend that candidates send certified true copies of irreplaceable documents. A certified true copy is a photocopy of the original official document to which a school, the Ministry of Education issuing the document, or a U.S. consular official has affixed his/her signature and/or official seal indication that it is an attested, true copy of the original document.
- Documents not in English must be accompanied by literal translations. One of these must have an original school stamp/seal and signature on it certifying that it is a true copy.
- If there is a concern regarding school documents, the admission office will contact school officials for clarification.
The following address can be used for international first-class postage or courier:
Office of International Admission
6832 Hinsdale Street-PO Box 96
Hiram, OH 44234
Phone: +1 (330) 569.5175
Fax: +1 (330) 569.5169