International New Student Arrival Day for Fall 2018 Semester is Monday, August 20, 2018.
While that date may seem a long way off, it will arrive before you know it. The checklist below will help you begin preparations for living and studying at Hiram College. Each of the steps is important, so complete them as quickly and as completely as possible. Students sponsored by government/private organizations should work closely with these agencies to ensure that all deadlines are met.
Please keep us informed of your progress in completing the steps and contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to assisting you!
1. TUITION DEPOSIT
To accept the offer of admission, submit the non-refundable USD$400 Tuition Deposit and other forms identified in the letter of admission. Since the deposit is non-refundable, students required to document finances for the Form I-20 should be certain that their financials are submitted and in order with Hiram’s Designated School Official (DSO) prior to paying the deposit.
Instructions for paying the deposit are attached to the acceptance email. Options include:
- Credit Card (online)
- Bank check/Money order (Made payable to: Hiram College)
- E-check (online)
- Wire Transfer – Wire transfers are not immediate. Please allow three business days for the transfer of funds.
2. APPLY FOR THE F-1 STUDENT VISA (non-immigrant students only.)
Review instructions for acquiring a Certificate of Eligibility: Form I-20. Submit the following:
- Clear copy of the passport biographical page(s)
- Completed International Student Profile
- Completed Verification of Immigration Status – required only for students currently in the U.S. with an F-1 or J-1 visa.
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship
- Supporting financial documentation from each funding source.
Receive a Form I-20 from Hiram College and,
- Review the instructions on applying for the F-1 Student Visa.
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.
- Pay the visa application fee specified by the U.S. Consulate/Embassy that will process your visa.
- Schedule a visa interview appointment with the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
3. ENROLLMENT TASKS
In order to reserve your room on campus, submit a copy of your visa and pay the USD$400 refundable housing deposit by December 15. You may then complete the Residential Contract.
Health forms are required and must be received prior to moving into the residence halls and class attendance.
After receiving an email from Hiram’s TSS Helpdesk, use the information sent to you to activate your Hiram email account.
- Review the Advising Workbook and Graduation Requirements.
- Complete Online Placement Tests.
- Complete Course Registration by emailing your choice of classes in response to an email you will receive from Associate Academic Dean, Ellen Walker.
- Review the book requirements for your scheduled classes and arrange purchase. In addition to textbooks, new students will read the Common Reading. A personal copy is given to you once you are at Hiram, but you may wish to obtain a copy to read prior to arrival.
Carrying Health Insurance is mandatory. All students are automatically enrolled in the Hiram College health insurance with GeoBlue Students.
Send your final transcript/certificates and meet any additional requirements noted in the letter of admission.
Friendly Family Program:
Complete the Friendly Family Application (optional).
4. PREPARING FOR DEPARTURE TO THE U.S.
Review pre-departure instructions regarding the following:
- Transferring Funds to the U.S.
- Paying your Bill
- Travel Arrangements
- Air Travel
- Carry-on Luggage
- Port of Entry
- Transport from the Airport to Campus
- Notebook Computer
- What to Bring
- Your Room and Packing List
- Bed Linens
- Clothing Styles at U.S. Universities
- Traditional Dress from Home
- Shipping Things to Hiram
- Via Courier
- Via International Post
- Buying Textbooks
- Changing Cultures
|(Ms.) Nicole Gatrell
Director, International Student Services
Office for International Student Services
11715 Garfield Rd./P.O. Box 67
Hiram, OH 44234 U.S.A.
Phone: (U.S. CC: 1) 330.569.5388
Fax: (U.S. CC: 1) 330.569.5183
|(Mr.) Dan Safko
Assistant Director of Admission and Coordinator for Transfer Recruitment
Office of Admission
6832 Hinsdale St./P.O. Box 96
Hiram, OH 44234 U.S.A.
Phone: (U.S. CC: 1) 330.569.6103
Fax: (U.S. CC: 1) 330.569.5944