Requirements for the Major
1. Required core courses for the major (35 hours):
- BIOL 13100/13300 Human Anatomy and Physiology I/II (8) (Recommended co-requisite CHEM 16100)
- IES 10100 Foundations of Exercise Science (3)
- IES 31200 Physiology of Muscular Activity and Exercise (4) (Lab experience; Prerequisite BIOL 13100 or permission)
- IES 32000 Kinesiology and Applied Biomechanics (4) (Lab experience; Prerequisite BIOL 13100 or permission)
- IES 34600 Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning (4) (Lab experience; Prerequisite BIOL 13100 or permission)
- IES 40000 Exercise Testing and Prescription (4) (Lab experience; Prerequisite BIOL 13100/13300 and IES 31200 or permission)
- 2 BIMD courses (8) (Either BIMD or INTD offerings approved by advisor)
2. Electives – choose 1 200 level course and 1 300/400 level course (6-7 hours):
Choose 1 200 level course:
- IES 23300 Personal and Community Health (3)
- IES 24400 Athletic Training (3)
Choose 1 300/400 level course:
- IES 30900 Sports Psychology (3)
- IES 31100 Nutrition and Fitness (3)
- IES 39700 Fitness Administration and Organization (3)
- IES 40100 Exercise Testing and Prescription for Special Populations (4) (Lab experience; Prerequisite BIOL 13100/13300 and IES 31200 or permission)
3. Capstone experience (1-3 hours):
Students are required to complete a capstone experience in which they will work closely with a faculty member in the application of this experience. After or in conjunction with the specialty coursework, students will complete an internship or research project to enhance their experience. Students will be responsible for completing both writing and presentation components.
- Enroll in IES 48000 Senior Seminar/Capstone and IES 481 or 498
- IES 481 Independent Research: students will be responsible for designing, implementing, and completing a research project under the supervision of a faculty member.
- IES 49800 Internship: this can be an on- or off-campus experience that is based upon the student’s specialty interest. 30 hours of didactic contact time per hour are required.
TOTAL HOURS: 42-45 and a correlative minor or concentration (16-30 hours)