Clicking the "Send Request" button above constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by Hiram College at the number you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand these calls may be generated using automated technology.
Applying to Hiram College
A Step-By-Step Guide
So you’ve decided to apply – and we couldn’t be more excited! Just follow the steps below to submit your application and materials. Applying is easy no matter what kind of student you are.
Step 1: Complete your application. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to contact us using the form on this page.
Step 2: Submit your official high school (or college) transcripts. Your school counselor can help with this.
Step 3: Wait patiently. During this time, our admissions staff will carefully review your materials and make a decision. Decisions are made on a rolling basis. You may be notified as early as the same day, or within a few days.
Step 4: Check your mail! We’ll be sending along an admissions letter to let you know if you’ve been accepted.
Step 5: After you’ve been accepted, we recommend you submit your deposit by May 1 (directions will be provided), and register for orientation. At orientation, you’ll sit down with your advisor who can help you select your classes.
Adult Studies (Weekend College) and Online Admissions
Step 1: Reach out to the Office of Professional and Graduate Studies to communicate your interest in one of our on-campus or online programs. One of our admissions counselors will answer your questions and guide you through the admissions process.
Step 2: Complete your application online or pick up a paper copy in our office.
Step 3: Submit your official college, university or secondary school transcripts. If you have not previously attended another college or university, please submit your high school transcripts or GED. If additional materials are required, one of our admissions counselors will contact you shortly after submission.
Step 4: Schedule an on-campus, in-person interview with our admissions staff. If an in-person interview is not possible, a phone interview can be arranged. Please call 1-330-569-6111 to set up your interview.
Step 5: After submitting your application and materials and scheduling your interview, we will conduct an unofficial review of your college transcripts to determine how many of your prior credits will transfer to Hiram College. The official evaluation will be completed by our Registrar’s office.
Step 6: We will notify you regarding the final admission decision. If admitted, an admissions counselor will contact you shortly to help you select classes and register for your first term.
Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies Admissions
Step 1: Reach out to the Office of Professional and Graduate Studies and let us know about your interest in the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies major. We can answer any questions you have about the program and enrollment.
Step 2: As soon as you’re ready, fill out the online application for admission.
Step 3: One of our admissions counselors will reach out and let you know what additional application materials are required. Generally, students must provide:
- An official copy of their transcript with this form included
- Two letters of recommendation with this form included
- A writing sample:
- The paper must have been written in the last 5 years
- We recommend choosing a paper where you've been asked to analyze an issue, draw conclusions, support an opinion or generate an argument. We're looking for a critical analysis of a concept or issue
- We recommend choosing a paper that is 3-5 pages in length, double-spaced, 12 point font
- A personal essay explaining why you’d like to attend Hiram College, why you’re choosing the MAIS major, and what your goals are after graduation. The essay should be 2-4 pages in length
Step 4: After determining that you meet the minimum/basic graduate program requirements, an admission counselor will contact representatives from the Graduate Studies Council (GSC) to set up an admission interview with you.
Step 5: Following the interview, the Office of Professional and Graduate Studies will contact you regarding the admission decision. If admitted, you will be contacted by an admission counselor who will help you register for your first term of classes.
- Students, faculty collaborate to present panel at ‘Gender Matters’ conference Hiram College students and faculty recently collaborated to…
- Hiram College to offer study abroad journey around the world in Spring 2016 Hiram College will lead undergraduates from across the…
- Senior creative writing major receives national recognition for short fiction ‘Hobophobia’ Every year, hundreds of writings are submitted to…
- Two English majors earn recognition for ‘Jane Eyre’ essays Two English majors have taken course essays exploring…
For advising and more information, please contact:
- Jeff Swenson,
Department Chair and Associate Professor