Clicking the "Send Request" button above constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by Hiram College at the number you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand these calls may be generated using automated technology.
Service Learning, as defined by Learn and Serve America, "is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities."
At Hiram College, service learning courses:
- Provide academic content and experiences whose student-learning outcomes are enhanced by activities beyond the traditional classroom
- Provide service activities, which by design reinforce course learning objectives & enhance student learning
- Identify and provide a service, such as volunteering of time and giving of resources, to members of a local, national, global or ecological community
- Offer structured opportunities for reflection
- Enhance civic responsibility and create a broader understanding of opportunities for civic engagement within the discipline being taught
- Provide student preparation and support for service activities
- Respect and acknowledge the sustainability of the service and relationship with the community partner
- Maintain mutual respect and reciprocity between students and the community partner
- Include systems for student, course, and community partner evaluations