Through our Honors Advantage program, you can take your experiences and opportunities for academic enrichment, professional development and interdisciplinary discourse to the new heights. Some of those perks include:
Additional scholarship opportunities
Various opportunities to apply for tuition-free over hours
An honors lounge
Graduation with honors
Hiram prides itself on looking at the whole student and has no hard GPA requirement for the Eclectic Scholars Program even though GPA is considered. The following credentials are recommended:
- 3.6 or higher high school GPA
- One of the following enrichment experiences:
- Creating or holding a leadership position in an academic or social club
- Leading or participating in a community volunteer effort such as Relay for Life or Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Working in or volunteering at a social service agency or hospital in order to make a difference in others’ lives
- Participation in independent research or entrepreneurial endeavor
- Involvement in environmental or sustainability clubs or efforts
- A curiosity or desire to explore complex, interdisciplinary issues and ideas
Make sure you apply for the Honors program after submitting their Hiram College application. After you apply, you’ll interview with a faculty representative of the Honors program is also required.
Why the Eclectic?
Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (now Hiram College) was founded in 1850. The Eclectic Institute was named as such to demonstrate that it would not follow any one mold, but remain free to choose an educational model demanded by the times. Hiram has always recognized the need to prepare students for diverse careers.
“From this place would go forth men of ample moral and mental growth to fill stations of honor and usefulness in all departments of social life.”