Hiram’s Content Area Programs (CAP) are offered through the Master of Arts degree in interdisciplinary studies. They are discipline-specific, 18-credit hour programs taught by Ph.D. faculty.
Each CAP will offer courses during summer, fall and spring terms, with multiple convenient start times. Courses can be completed in as few as 15 months. Early credentialing and approval to teach courses as Hiram College adjunct faculty before CAP completion must be approved by the Hiram College academic dean. Courses will be offered either at Hiram College or online.
Credits can be counted toward the Hiram College Master of Arts degree in interdisciplinary studies. Please consult with the Hiram College Office of Professional and Graduate Studies at 330.569.5161 for more details.
TUITION: The CAP program cost is $530 per credit hour, plus a comprehensive fee of $125; ESC district faculty may participate for a discounted rate of $424 per credit hour, plus a comprehensive fee of $125. Participants not in need of master’s credit hours may take this as a graduate professional development (GEDU) course with reduced tuition of $240 per credit hour, as space allows.
CAP Courses for Teachers
Each of the following courses can be taken for MAIS, CAP, or GEDU credit. Each of these courses is 3 credit hours.
CAP in Biology – 18 Credit Hours, Six (6) Courses from:
Fully Online Courses
- Summer 1 May-July 2017 – Advanced Readings in Evolutionary and Developmental Biology 3 CR HR
- Summer 2 June – August 2017 – Cancer Biology 3 CR HR
- Course 3 – Fall August-November 2017– Infectious Disease Epidemiology 3 CR HR
- Course 4 – Spring January-April 2018 – Advanced Readings & Methods in Forensics 3 CR HR
- Course 5 – Summer 2018 – Genes and Genomes 3 CR HR (Tentative)
- Course 6 – Summer 2018 – Advanced Readings in Immunology 3 CR HR (Tentative)
Field techniques courses requiring limited residency
- Course 1 – Summer 2017 – Advanced Field Biology 4 CR HR – hybrid
- Course 2 – July 3-July 8, 2017 – Marine Ecology, Readings & Methods 2 CR HR – requires 6 days, 5 nights
- Arrive in Chincoteague, VA on July 3rd by 8 p.m. and then depart on Sat July 8th by noon. The cost is $470 if you get your own transportation to and from Chincoteague. If you want transportation to and from D.C., the cost will be $600 and you will have to take the train from Cleveland to D.C. on the 3rd and meet the class in D.C. and then ride home with the class by van. This cost includes all meals for the five nights some of the meals for the 6th day and all transportation and field trip costs while on the program (i.e. admissions, etc.).
- Course 3 – July 2 – July 7, 2017 – Advanced Civic Ecology – 2 CR HR- requires 6 days, 5 nights
- Arrive in New York on Sunday July 2nd by 6 p.m. and depart New York on Friday July 7th at noon. The cost is $470 if you get your own transportation to and from New York. If you want transportation to and from New York they can ride with the class on the bus and then we can book you on a train back to Cleveland on the 7th, but that will be a total of $600 for the fee. This cost includes all meals for the five nights some of the meals for the 6th day and all transportation and field trip costs while on the program (i.e. admissions, etc.).
Faculty completing the Biology CAP will be credentialed to teach Hiram College’s Introductory Biology I and II, Biology for Non-majors, Beginning Field Biology, and Anatomy and Physiology. High school faculty completing the program can apply to the Hiram College Biology Department to be credentialed to teach other courses. Credentialing will depend upon faculty educational background. Courses to be taught on behalf of other higher education institutions need separate approval, though the curriculum is designed to prepare students to teach most introductory level courses.
CAP in SPANISH – 18 Credit Hours, Six (6) courses from:
Fully Online Courses
- TBD – Representations of the Spanish Civil War – 3 CR HR
- Summer II, June – August, 2017 – Modern and Contemporary Spanish Fiction – 3 CR HR
- Fall, 2017 – Contemporary Latin American Fiction–3 CR HR
- Spring, 2018- Latin American Cultures – 3 CR HR
- Summer, 2018 – Latino US Literatures and Cultures – 3 CR HR
- Summer 2018 – Literatures and Cultures in the Time of El Quijote – 3 CR HR
CAP Programs are under development in English, entrepreneurship, and management. Please contact us at 330.569.5380 for more information.
- If a teacher has already earned a Masters, he/she may begin teaching dual credit as early as AY 17-18.
- Application can be found at http://www.hiram.edu/admission/graduate-studies/courses-for-professional-educators
- Teachers seeking a graduate degree may opt to enroll in Hiram’s Masters in Interdisciplinary Studies program. Please see our Professional and Graduate Studies Program at hiram.edu.
- Graduate tuition discounted for ESC districts; other assistance is available.