SAS for First Year Students
Your success is our goal! This page contains helpful ideas to improve your success during your first year at Hiram College. These tips are adapted from "Your College Experience-Strategies for Success" by Jerome Jeweler and John Gardner.
Follow these tips to succeed in college and in life:
- Go to class. You are paying for a college education; make the most of your time and money by always attending class.
- Get to know at least one individual on campus who knows who you are and cares about your survival. We are piloting a new Student Academic Coaching (SAC) program this fall! Your mentor will be able to connect you to campus resources as well as provide help with study skills. Complete the application to be matched to a Student Academic Coach
- Ask for help when you need it! Send out an SOS early; do not wait until you are going under. Simply type "SOS" as the subject line of your e-mail and Student Academic Services will contact you within 24 hours to help. Take advantage of our peer tutoring services or to request a meeting with SAS
- Understand why you are in College. Your college experience will be more productive if you have clear goals you wish to accomplish each day, each semester, each year.
- Strive for BALANCE in your life. Learn to set priorities and balance your time between class time, coursework, work, and relaxation.
- Establish good study skills early. Studies of college students have shown that academic patterns established during the first few weeks are the most important in determining what will happen during the entire four years. Talk to your adviser about taking Experiments in Effective Learning this fall.
- Become involved in the learning process! No more passive memorization, your professors will expect you to be able to analyze, interpret and apply material. Find a way to connect new knowledge to your world using your own life experience.
- Make one or two close friends among your peers
- Be assertive: communicate with your professors, adviser and college staff.
- Get involved in campus activities
- Take your health seriously! Learn how to handle stress and if you feel physically ill, or mentally overwhelmed do not hesitate to call Hiram College Health and Counseling Services at X5418 where you can receive medical attention, talk to a licensed counselor, and learn techniques to use in dealing with the stresses of college life.
Office location: Hinsdale 106
Fall Hours of Service
→ (by appt. only from 5-9)