Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits & Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Affiliation Information
VA Benefits: Qualifying and Applying
For students who have served, or are currently serving, in the United States Armed Services, or who are children or spouses of veterans, VA Educational Benefits may be available. To find out if you are eligible for educational benefits, please visit the VA's Educational Benefits website, or contact the VA Benefits Office at 1-800-827-1000.
Once you have determined you are eligible for VA Educational Benefits, please follow these steps to ensure smooth processing and receipt of your VA Educational Benefit payments.
- If not yet admitted, apply and be admitted to Hiram College. Information on the Application process can be found by clicking here. Be sure to indicate on your Admissions' application that you will be utilizing VA Educational Benefits.
- Apply for VA Educational Benefits with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- The VONAPP, Veterans Online Application, allows potential benefits recipients to apply for benefits at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To complete the VONAPP, click here.
- If you do not have online access, contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 and an application will be mailed to you.
- Once you have completed the application process with the VA and have received your Certificate of Eligibility, please send the following to the address below:
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Copy of DD-214
- Intent to Enroll Form (available below)
Intent to Enroll and Schedule Changes
Each term that an eligible VA benefits recipient student intends to enroll and utilize benefits, a Veteran Student Intent to Enroll form must be completed, signed, and returned to the Registrar's Office. Below are the forms for each academic session:
- Fall Semester Intent to Enroll Form
- Spring Semester Intent to Enroll Form
- Summer Semester Intent to Enroll Form
Also, it is important to note that each veteran student is required to notify the VA Certifying Official via email, as schedule changes are made (adding, dropping courses, etc). Each time credit hours change, the VA Certifying Official adjusts educational benefits with the VA, so notification in a timely matter allows for smoother and faster processing.
If you are a veteran who will be attending classes at Hiram College or if you have any questions about VA benefits, please feel free to contact the VA Certifying Official directly.Linda Shirey NelsonFinancial Aid OfficeHiram College
P.O. Box 67
VA Website: http://www.va.gov/
VA Education/GI Bill: 1-888-442-4551
Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Affiliations